The modern geotechnical laboratories at Bowser-Morner are equipped to conduct a gamut of physical and chemical analyses on soil and rock, giving geotechnical, civil, and structural engineers reliable information for putting projects on solid ground.
The technicians staffing Bowser-Morner’s geotechnical labs work closely with the geotechnical engineers and field service professionals at Bowser-Morner—as well as with other engineering firms, contractors, consultants, regulatory agencies, and municipalities—to provide quality, dependable soil and rock testing services.
Get answers to your soil questions.
Engineers rely on our laboratory results to design earthen structures, such as foundations and embankments, and to predict slope stability and settlement characteristics of existing or planned structures. Field technicians turn to us for compaction characteristics and other index properties for use in evaluating field measurements. The geotechnical lab also performs basic rock mechanics testing.
Soil and rock tests performed in the lab provide information on parameters, including index properties that indicate the potential behavior of the material (texture, plasticity, density), as well as strength and compressibility measurements (triaxial strength, one-dimensional consolidation) that are used in engineering studies.
Available soil tests include:
- Sieve and Hydrometer Analysis
- USCS Engineering Classification
- U.S.D.A. Textural Classification
- Moisture-Density (Proctors)
- Unconfined Compressive Strength
- California Bearing Ratio
- Triaxial Compression Shear Strength
- Atterberg Limits
- Specific Gravity
- Unit Weight Determination
- Moisture Content
- Gradient Ratio
- In-Situ Boutwell Permeability
- Sand Equivalent Value
- One-Dimensional Consolidation
- MSE Wall Material Compliance
Work with certified technicians and a ISO 17025/AASHTO R-18 accredited lab.
No matter the need or the customer, Bowser-Morner’s geotechnical labs are committed to reliable results.
Many of our technicians are certified by the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET). We follow stringent quality assurance and quality control procedures, including ASTM testing methods, and our technicians are active participants on several ASTM D18 subcommittees. Additionally, our lab leverages modern equipment including a Geocomp Corporation Geolog System 5, which features 33 Brainard-Kilman triaxial/permeability cells and a data acquisition system. Finally, our lab work is approved, accredited, and validated by many DOTs, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and leading independent accrediting agencies.
Bowser-Morner’s accreditations, certifications, proven methods, and modern technologies all add up to high quality testing results. And more peace of mind for you.
The Bowser-Morner geotechnical laboratory certifications and accreditations include:
- AASHTO Materials Reference Laboratory Accredited—ISO/IEC 17025
- Approved by the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT)
- Approved by the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources
- Approved by the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT)
- Approved by the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Transportation Cabinet
- Validated for testing by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineer