As the experts in coal refuse disposal facilities, Bowser-Morner has the trusted experience it takes to cost-effectively handle your coal mining waste and help you meet industry and regulatory requirements.
Decades of Expertise in Mining Waste Disposal
No matter how your mining operation chooses to dispose of its waste—either as a slurry or as solid refuse—and whether you are located in the hilly Appalachian coal fields or the Illinois flat lands, Bowser-Morner knows how to address your topography and disposal method challenges. Our experts have been designing and maintaining coal refuse facilities since the 1970s, working with some facility sites for 25 yeas or more. In addition, our team is responsible for the design of the largest coal refuse embankment east of the Mississippi.
We leverage our considerable experience to recommend cost-effective solutions that will meet your operating needs, reduce permitting hassles and headaches, and keep you compliant. So you can stay focused on mining coal—and leave handling the waste to us.
Comprehensive Engineering Services for the Lifecycle of Your Facility
There’s no need to look beyond Bowser-Morner to handle the engineering, testing, and construction services for your coal refuse disposal facility. As a full-service organization, we offer a single-source solution from drilling and sampling, to initial facility design, through reclamation design at the end of your facility’s useful life. You can count on the experts at Bowser-Morner to partner with you from day one to meet your full spectrum of coal refuse disposal facility needs.
Our services include:
- Coal refuse disposal facility design and permitting for solid waste and slurries
- Evaluate coarse to fine refuse ratios and their impact on embankment staging relative to construction
- Engineering analysis and testing including slope stability, seepage analysis, and materials compatibility testing
- Identify site conditions requiring remedial measures such as underground mining
- Hydrology and hydraulics design for managing storm water runoff, including the design of decant pipe spillways and emergency spillway systems
- Development of embankment construction drawings and specifications
- Consulting during construction and operation including instrumentation readings, construction materials testing, and laboratory testing
- Embankment monitoring
- Site inspections and reporting to the Mine Safety and Health Administration and local environmental authorities
- Reclamation design